- Address students’ intellectual, social, emotional and physical well-being
- Enable students to understand and manage the complexities of our world, and provides them with the skills and attitudes they need in order to take responsible action for the future
- Ensure breadth and depth of knowledge and understanding through the study of eight subject areas
- Require the study of at least two languages to support students in understanding their own culture and that of others
- Provide the opportunity for students to undertake an independent project into an area of interest (in year 5)
IB Mission Statement
The International Baccalaureate aims to develop inquiring, knowledgeable and caring young people who help to create a better and more peaceful world through intercultural understanding and respect.To this end the organization works with schools, governments and international organizations to develop challenging programmes of international education and rigorous assessment.These programmes encourage students across the world to become active, compassionate and lifelong learners who understand that other people, with their differences, can also be right.
While insisting on the through study of the various academic subjects, the MYP accentuates their interrelatedness and advances a holistic view of knowledge. As a part of the International Baccalaureate Organization's curriculum, the program fosters intercultural awareness, promoting better understanding of, and respect for, other cultures, as well as concern for international issues. The MYP also stresses the importance of communication through good command of one's own language, foreign language acquisition, and the appreciation of different modes of thinking and expression.
Students in the IB MYP are assessed in all subjects at each grade level using internationally-standardized criteria. In addition, they are required to participate in service to their community each year. In 10th grade, they demonstrate their itnerests, knowledge and skills by working with a commuinty mentor to complete a Personal Project, a 5-month independent research project on a topic of their interests.
For more information on the Middle Years Program:
Please contact IB Coordinator:
Lesher Middle School, an IB World School
1400 Stover Street
Fort Collins, CO 80524