The 40 Book Challenge! (Updated)
Lesher students and staff will be taking on the 40 Book Challenge this school year. The challenge runs from May 1st 2016 – May 1st 2017. Students and staff are being asked to read as many books from as many different genres as possible! We know that 40 books is a lofty goal, so there will be prizes awarded to students who reach 10, 20, 30, and 40 books. This isn’t just an individual challenge, but a school wide challenge too. Grade levels and Language and Literature classes will also compete for the most books read. We will hold a celebration in May to award prizes and announce our top readers!
To participate in the challenge, go to the Lesher Reading Log link below and save a copy to your Google Drive. Every time you finish a book, update your Reading Log with the book title, author, and genre. Turn in your Reading Log to your Language and Literature teacher by May 1st, 2017 to be eligible for prizes. Happy reading!
Lesher Reading Log: Use the Chrome browser and log into your PSD Google account before using this link.
August 8, 2014
Dear Lesher Students,
Welcome to the Viking ship. ANCHOR DOWN! What’s anchor down you ask? Well, like Playmakers, All In!, The Lesher Difference, We are… Lesher, etc. its part mindset, part marketing. It’s a phrase used by the Vanderbilt University athletic teams, and I thought it had some carry over to what we are doing here aboard the Viking ship, so I’ll be sharing the idea behind it with our staff at our opening faculty meeting. You can learn more about Anchor Down by watching this quick 5:11 video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UuM6a6lTHL8&feature=player_detailpage.
I’m thrilled for 2014-15, our 54th year! I hope you have had a wonderful summer, as we rev up for the start of another school year. What excites me most is the quality of our returning staff, and this year’s new draft picks. We look forward to spreading the power of optimism, emphasizing simplicity, humor, and humility, and in so doing building relationships with all of your children and our larger school community. The objective remains the same, provide a high quality seat for every student at Lesher defined by equally high academic and behavioral expectations with support. It’s our professional responsibility, it’s our moral imperative, it’s what we do!
As we open the 2014-15 academic year you will notice:
- Our new VPAC = Viking Performing Arts Center (the old auditorium) including new seats with tablet arms, a sound and light booth, LED aisle lighting, aisle carpeting, projector with a long throw lens, enhanced speaker and mic capabilities, wireless connectivity, clean vents, and no asbestos.
- A re-modeled front entrance with new carpeting and a larger vestibule that directs all visitors through the main office (we will be adding an information kiosk soon).
- The improved Microsoft Office 365 installed on all computers, new laptop carts for all 6th grade classrooms through the 2010 mill/bond refresh, three new double-sided printers, and coming soon… laptops with docking stations for all teachers.
- New native moss rock boulders in our City of Fort Collins certified Nicki Lucas Natural Area, parent pick up/drop off area mulch, and at the entrance to our staff parking lot.
- A shade structure next to our mural in our parent pick up/drop off area (finally!).
- More weekly email blasts of celebrations and important announcements.
- A continued focus on our IB Middle Years Program (IBMYP), dual language and gifted and talented offerings, differentiated instruction with scaffolded support, and Extended Learning Opportunities (ELOs) in support of CO standards-based teaching and learning.
- 750+ unique students from 25 elementary schools!
So, get ready to anchor down on August 18th (6th graders) and August 19th (7th and 8th graders)! See you next week.
Living the dream,