You are here
Gifted & Talented
<= Use the link on the left for information about Lesher's Genius Week.
Gifted and Talented
The PSD Gifted and Talented program strives to nurture the development of exceptional abilities so that all gifted students demonstrate positive self-esteem, high-level thinking and creative productivity.
Gifted PSD students are identified by their strength areas and needs. Educational programming is implemented to match their identified needs. Student progress and achievement is monitored through on-going assessment.
Gifted children are students between five and 21 whose abilities, talents, and potential for accomplishment are so outstanding that they require special provisions to meet their educational needs. Gifted students include gifted students with disabilities (i.e. twice exceptional) and students with exceptional abilities or potential from all socio-economic and ethnic, cultural populations.
Areas of giftedness include:
- General or specific intellectual ability.
- Specific academic aptitude.
- Creative or productive thinking.
- Leadership abilities.
- Visual arts, performing arts, musical or psychomotor abilities
Advanced Learning Plans
An Advanced Learning Plan or ALP is a written record of gifted and talented programming utilized with each gifted child and considered in educational planning and decision making. Advanced Learning Plans are written for identified gifted students. Please see this Overview of PSD Advanced Learning Plans.
The ALP is:
- A strength-based planning guide for curriculum, instruction, and assessment and social-emotional development.
- A record of results and programming options implemented for goal and school success.
- An accountability record showing short term and long term collaborative efforts.
- A dynamic, working document developed and reviewed through collaborative efforts of the teacher/s, parents and students.
- Based on standards.
ALPs address at least one of these areas:
- Advanced Academic Performance and Achievement
- Independent Learning and Research
- Post-Secondary Readiness and Career Exploration
- Social and Emotional Needs/Affective Guidance
Visit the Documents tab upper right for more information on Leshers GT Services.
Visit the Links & Downloads upper left for resources available for gifted children.